Diversity and Inclusion at Turner is AUTHENTIC, distinctive voices both on and off the air. It’s people who SPEAK UP, confront the status quo and EMBRACE CHANGE. And it’s cultivating an environment that encourages every Turner employee to… CHOOSE DIFFERENT.
We’re proud of who we are today and openly acknowledge that we’re putting measures in place to do better in reflecting and representing the world around us.
Ladies in Tech at Turner
The media landscape is constantly changing. From our tech teams to our leadership to those in front of the camera, the women of Turner are changing it for the better and encouraging others to pursue their passions.
Turner Leaders Recognized by CableFax and NAMIC
The National Association for Multi-ethnicity in Communications (NAMIC) and Cablefax recently named the most powerful and influential leaders that are driving diversity in the communications and media industry, their company, and their community. We are proud to say several Turner leaders across the company topped the list. Six of them share what inspires them to be an example for others.
That Full Frontal life w/ show writer Ashley Black
As a newly minted Emmy® award-winning writer and a bona fide comedic role model, Ashley gave us an inside scope on the life of a writer for Full Frontal.
Diversity is Our Business Imperative
-John Martin, Chairman and CEO, Turner
Turner Taking Action
Diversity and inclusion is the backbone of our fans-first strategy and our commitment to making Turner a great place to work. To become an authentic reflection of our audiences, we’re focusing on activities and initiatives like increasing our presence at industry events like South by Southwest (SXSW) and minority journalism conventions to grow our talent pipeline, and creating leading-edge development opportunities for our employees and leaders.
To help understand unconscious bias – one of diversity’s toughest challenges – we launched specialized training for employees around the globe. We believe identifying unconscious bias is a critical skill we can all use to choose different, to build deeper connections, and to gain a better understanding for one another’s perspectives and life experiences. Ultimately, we believe in building high performing teams that use their natural differences to enhance our inclusive culture.
By 2020 we commit to...
- Increase Turner’s representation of women and people of color in overall leadership roles.
- Increase diversity among writers, directors, product developers, and the creative teams behind our stories.
- Expand our partnerships with diversity focused non-profits and industry groups to boost their influence and expand our talent pipeline.
- Incorporate independent rankings from recruiters, non-profits, and industry groups to better measure and benchmark our progress.
Business Resource Groups
Our Business Resource Groups (BRGs) allow our employees opportunities to connect with colleagues who share similar interests and backgrounds. These groups use their collective spirit to help propel our business forward. Learn more about Turner’s BRGs.
And the award goes to...
At Turner, we are cultivating a culture that connects to varied audiences, makes bold and creative leaps and develops breakthrough ideas. We strive to be game changers and our company and our people earn recognition for their efforts.
- CNN Anchor Don Lemon honored with GLAAD’s Davidson/Valentini Award
- Pascal Desroches, Turner’s Executive VP & CFO, recognized by Savoy Magazine as one of the Top 100 Most Influential Blacks in Corporate America
- Christina Miller, president of Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Boomerang for Turner, received Women In Cable Telecommunications Woman of the Year Inspiration Award
- Twyla Huang-DiSimone, VP, News Content Partnerships for Turner, recognized by NAMIC as one of 10 emerging executives of color in its 2017 Luminaries Class
- She Runs It honored Turner’s Michal Shapira, Senior VP, News Content Partnerships, as a catalyst for innovation in marketing and media
- Turner has earned a spot on the Working Mother 100 Best Companies list for 14 consecutive years
By working closely with our partners, we hope to promote stronger dialogue and diversity in the industry’s pipeline of emerging voices.