Shaq Week Returns to NBA TV Beginning Monday, Aug. 29
Thursday, August 25, 2016
Week-Long Shaquille O’Neal Programming Highlighted by New Hardwood Classics,
Network Premiere of Kazaam, NBA Home Videos, Shaqtin’ A Fool and Open Court Marathons
NBA Digital to Showcase Fan-Sourced #ShaqArt as Part of Social Media Activations
Shaq Week will return to NBA TV for the second consecutive year with a lineup of programming that showcases four-time NBA Champion and current TNT and NBA TV analyst Shaquille O’Neal, beginning Monday, Aug. 29. Featured programming will include a collection of O’Neal’s top games as selected by the 2016 Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame inductee, the NBA TV debut of the 1996 feature film Kazaam, Shaqtin’ A Fool and Open Court marathons and more.
NBA TV’s Hardwood Classics will showcase 20 of O’Neal’s top career performances, including more than a dozen classic playoff games. Three games from his days with the Los Angeles Lakers will air on NBA TV for the first time, Tuesday, Aug. 30, beginning at 10 p.m. ET:
- Lakers vs. Seattle SuperSonics, 1998 NBA Western Conference Semifinals Game 4: O’Neal scored 39 points and added eight rebounds, seven assists and five blocks in a 112-100 win over Seattle.
- Lakers vs. Indiana Pacers, 2000 NBA Finals Game 1: The Lakers’ center tallied 43 points and 19 rebounds in a 104-87 win on the way to the first of L.A.’s three consecutive NBA titles.
- Lakers vs. Sacramento Kings, 2001 Western Conference Semifinals Game 2: O’Neal posted 43 points and 20 rebounds in a 96-90 victory over the Kings.
Additional Shaq Week programming highlights include:
- Shaqtin’ A Fool: A marathon of NBA TV’s popular show highlighting the NBA’s funniest bloopers will air Monday, Aug. 29, from 5 p.m.-3 a.m.
- Centers of the Universe: Shaq & Yao: The 30-minute NBA special tells the story of the emotionally-charged matchups between O’Neal and fellow Hall of Fame center Yao Ming, reflecting on their relationship as rivals and friends, airing Wednesday, Aug. 31, at 3:30 p.m. with encores running throughout the week.
- NBA Home Videos: Behind-the-scenes access to O’Neal’s four NBA Championship-winning teams (2000-02 Lakers & 2006 Miami Heat) starting Wednesday, Aug. 31, at 6 p.m. and continuing throughout the week.
- Kazaam: For the first time, NBA TV will air back-to-back encores of the 1996 comedy film starring O’Neal on Wednesday, Aug. 31, at 10 p.m.
- Open Court: An 18-episode marathon featuring O’Neal as a member of NBA TV’s critically-acclaimed roundtable show will begin Thursday, Sept. 1, at 9 a.m.
Shaq Week Across NBA Digital & Social Media
Shaq Week will also be featured across new social media activations including #ShaqArt. Fans can tweet their own creations of Shaq-related art to the @NBATV Twitter handle, and select submissions will be reposted or featured on-air throughout the week. Content including O’Neal’s career highlights and “best-of” moments from TNT and NBA TV will also be featured on NBA.com/shaqweek.
About NBA TV
NBA TV is a part of NBA Digital, the NBA's extensive cross-platform portfolio of digital assets jointly-managed by the NBA and Turner Sports including NBA TV, NBA App, NBA.com, NBA LEAGUE PASS, NBADLEAGUE.com and WNBA.com.