TNT’s Exclusive 2016 NBA Western Conference Finals Coverage Continues to Deliver Strong Audiences Across All Platforms
Monday, May 23, 2016
Warriors/Thunder WCF Game 3 Averages 8 Million Total Viewers & Delivers
Cable’s Top Program of the Night For Third Straight Time
WCF Game 3 Garners Triple Digit Growth Across Digital and Social Media Platforms
TNT’s exclusive presentation of the 2016 NBA Western Conference Finals continues to deliver significant audience consumption and engagement across Turner’s platforms. The network’s coverage of last night’s Golden State Warriors and Oklahoma City Thunder averaged eight million viewers and a 4.7 U.S. HH rating, to deliver the most-viewed program of the night on cable for the third straight time this series, based on Nielsen Fast Nationals. The telecast – which peaked with an average of 9.5 million viewers and a 5.6 U.S. HH rating from 8:45-9 p.m. ET – is the most viewed and highest rated Conference Finals Game 3 airing on the network since 2011 (Miami vs. Chicago).
Turner’s TV Everywhere platforms generated significant gains for WCF Game 3, including last night’s 469,927 uniques up 285% over last year, live streams up 136% and minutes consumed up +97%, when compared to the comparable coverage in 2015.
Additionally, content published via NBA on TNT’s Facebook and Twitter accounts generated 26 million impressions yesterday, up 104% over last year. Further, Turner’s accounts drove more than two million video views, up 303% over Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals last year.
Additional TNT highlights include:
- Warriors/Thunder WCF Game 3 telecast is up 30% in viewers and 26% in U.S. HH rating when compared with 2014, the last time the network televised the Western Conference Finals (Oklahoma City vs. San Antonio).
- Last night’s game telecast is up 17% in viewers and 14% in U.S. HH rating over last year’s NBA Eastern Conference Finals Game 3 coverage airing on TNT (Cleveland vs. Atlanta). This year’s coverage of the WCF Game 3 also generated double-digit audience growth across all key demos.
- The top rated local markets for Warriors/Thunder last night – Oklahoma City (24.6 rating), San Francisco (18.2), Tulsa (12.8), Cleveland (10.1) and San Antonio (9.5).
- Inside the NBA averaged a 2.6 HH rating, according to Nielsen metered market data, to rank as the second-best sports program of the night.
- Through the first three game telecasts the series is averaging 8.1 million total viewers and a 4.9 U.S. HH rating to garner the TNT’s most viewed and highest rated Conference Finals series to-date since 2011 (Miami/Chicago), based on Nielsen Fast Nationals.
TNT’s exclusive coverage of the 2016 Western Conference Finals will continue Tuesday, May 24, with Game 4 of the series at 9 p.m. The network’s coverage will begin with NBA Tip-Off presented by Autotrader at 8 p.m. with host Ernie Johnson and analysts Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith and Shaquille O’Neal.
Source: Nielsen Media Research based on Live + Same Day data stream, Fast Nationals for 05/22/16 NBA on TNT 2016 NBA Western Conference Finals compared to historical NBA Conference Finals on TNT. DMA ratings and Inside the NBA data program metered market rating provided by Arianna, compared with cable ad supported programs for 05/22/16. Online and Mobile TVE Live Stream Starts, Uniques, Minutes by Quarter Hour (rounded based on actual game time) from Omniture SiteCatalyst; Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, Crowdtangle, Spredfast Intelligence.