Turner Ad Sales Re-Imagines Advertising with a Client-First Sales Approach
Tuesday, December 8, 2015
New Sales Hybrid Focused on Driving Results for Business Partners
through Deeper Client Collaboration, Next Generation Capabilities
and an Enhanced Consumer Experience
Turner Ad Sales announced today a newly enhanced sales division designed to streamline and simplify agency and client partnerships. The redesigned sales unit will represent Turner’s portfolio of assets more effectively and identify solutions that drive client business results. Utilizing data to inform powerful insight-led client partnerships spanning audience targeting, branded content, social & mobile capabilities and enhanced consumer environments, this client-first approach is designed to deliver robust ROI across the company’s leading entertainment, kids, young adult and news platforms and screens.
Two years after combining its linear and digital sales divisions and less than a year after presenting Turner's first-ever portfolio-wide Upfront presentation, today's announcement is part of a long-range strategy to deepen the connection with advertisers through insights and capabilities that engage viewers in exciting new ways. Earlier this year, Turner announced several initiatives designed to launch the evolution of this client-first approach. Below are a few key examples:
• AudienceNOW: Announced in the Upfront, this audience-based selling product builds on what was accomplished with TargetingNOW, leveraging the company's in-house predictive modeling tool CAE (Competitive Audience Estimates) to find the best schedule for the brand's target audience across the entire day and portfolio.
• Provable ROI: Building on the success of ROINOW, ProvableROI guarantees success at the front end of the deal with select partners within the Turner Emerging Consumers (Adult Swim, Boomerang, Cartoon Network, truTV) group.
• truTV: Beginning in fourth quarter 2016, truTV will extend the amount of program time during each new hour of original, primetime shows by more than 20%, which will catapult the brand to the lowest average commercial and promo time in all of television.
• Launch Pad (formerly Sociology): This first-of-its kind, Turner-wide team and platform combines the power of Turner's premium branded content with real-time social analytics and promotion. It is designed to maximize a brand's impact across platforms by applying proprietary, actionable insights to a campaign from start to finish.
• Courageous: A branded content studio for marketers utilizing the breadth of Turner's global, multi-screen CNN and HLN brands, combined with capabilities to develop content across the full portfolio.
"Turner has led with ad innovation, branded content and platform-agnostic sales for some time, so this is the next pivotal step in that evolution," said Donna Speciale, president of Turner Ad Sales. "We want to re-imagine advertising across all screens and formats to better the experience for consumers and deliver stronger results for brands. We want to become a strategic resource to our business partners, leveraging our entire portfolio across all screens to create new opportunities. To do that, we are transforming our sales organization to address the needs of today’s clients with an eye toward the promise of tomorrow’s innovation and capabilities.”
With a specialized focus on insight selling and data-driven ad products, Turner Ad Sales has announced the formation of a new unit: Client Strategy & Ad Innovation. The group will be made up by two teams with Ad Innovation and Programmatic Solutions charged with developing next generation capabilities-notably around audience targeting and ROI guarantees, while Client Strategy & Development will focus on individual clients and overall category strategy through insight-led sales initiatives. Leading this new group is Michael Strober, previously senior vice president within the entertainment sales division and now promoted to executive vice president, reporting to Speciale.
Through enhanced resources spanning content and social/mobile monetization, Dan Riess, executive vice president of content partnerships will focus on creative, solution-based client ideation across the portfolio. The group will have dedicated teams that align with sales, client and network strategy, and collaborate closely with the Client Strategy & Ad Innovation unit to strengthen opportunities and outcomes for marketers.
As Turner Ad Sales strives to maximize client campaign outcomes, it is also adapting how the sales leadership team will work with Turner's business partners. The division's executive vice presidents – Katrina Cukaj, Joe Hogan and Frank Sgrizzi – will now support strategic conversations across the full breadth of Turner's suite of brands. Each of them will head portfolio sales/client partnership teams, representing Turner’s entire portfolio. The division heads will also be responsible for leading conversations across specific agency holding companies, oversee distinct regions and specialize in key categories to provide stronger, more strategic insight-led client solutions. Cukaj, Hogan, Sgrizzi and Riess will all continue to report to Speciale.
"We are very fortunate to have strong, strategic leaders and seasoned executives who will continue to collaborate and share collective resources," Speciale said. "Their valuable work will provide more opportunities for our clients around the 15,000+ hours of premium original content created for our networks and the 4.7 trillion dollars in spending power that our audiences represent annually."
Next month, the Turner Ad Sales team will meet with clients at CES to present the next iteration in ad innovation and content development set to emerge from Turner.
About Turner Ad Sales
Turner Ad Sales monetizes the company's portfolio of leading news, sports, kids and entertainment properties through advertising and brand activations. Attracting a wide-scale audience of diverse consumers, the collection includes leading media brands CNN, HLN, TBS, TNT, truTV, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Adult Swim, Bleacher Report and Turner Sports' high-profile coverage of the NBA, MLB, NCAA and PGA. In addition, the company has digital sales partnerships with the NBA, NASCAR, NCAA and PGA.
Turner, a Time Warner company creates and programs branded news; entertainment; kids and young adult; and sports media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.
VP of Business Communications, Turner