TURNER'S ENTERTAINMENT BRANDS ENJOY EPIC 2017 START
Tuesday, January 10, 2017
- Warner TV and Oh!K channels celebrate new year with ratings high -
HONG KONG (January 10, 2017) – With 2017 only just up and running, Turner’s pan-regional entertainment channels – Warner TV and Oh!K – are already revelling in ratings highs in key Southeast Asia markets.
In Singapore, Warner TV started the year as the No. 1 English general entertainment channel. While in the Philippines, it came in at No. 2 and as the fastest-growing GE channel.
Meanwhile, Oh!K – thanks to the current Korean smash hit, Goblin – was registered by GfK as the number one pay-TV channel in Singapore on January 1.
Marianne Lee, content head for Warner TV and Oh!K, commented: “We at Turner couldn’t be happier with the start that our channels have had in 2017. Goblin, featuring megastars Gong Yoo and Lee Dong Wook, has been setting viewing record after record in Korea, and it seems that fans in Southeast Asia are loving it just as much.
“Meanwhile, our DC superhero shows on Warner TV and series like The Big Bang Theory and Lethal Weapon, complemented by a raft of Hollywood blockbuster movies, really seem to be delivering for us.”
Oh!K is set for another big month. The big-budget and long-awaited Saimdang premieres on the channel on Thursday, January 26. This is the first time a network in Southeast Asia has offered a simultaneous broadcast with Korea with subtitles and audio versions for Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. New episodes of the Lee Young Ae drama will air every Wednesday and Thursday at 9pm.
Ratings highlights include:
Warner TV - Singapore
• Warner TV finished Q4 2016 as the No. 1 English GE channel among Pay TV 4+.
• Warner TV was also the top-rated English GE channel during primetime (Mon-Sun 7 to 11pm) in Q4 2016.
• Popular titles include DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, The Big Bang Theory, Good Behavior, Gotham and Arrow.
Data source: GFK SG TAM. Live + VOSDAL. Pay TV 4+. English GE channels include AXN, Star World, Warner TV, Diva, Fox Crime, Fox Channel, Animax, Hits, Universal Channel, SyFy, Comedy Central Asia, MTV Asia and Lifetime.
Warner TV - Philippines
• Warner TV finished Q4 2016 as the no. 2 English GE channel among Cable 2+ in Mega Manila.
• Warner TV was the fastest growing English GE channel in Mega Manila. Its rating has increased by 131% in Q4 on same time last year.
• Popular shows include comedy realities Carbonaro Effect and Impractical Jokers, drama and comedy series such as The Last Ship, The Big Bang Theory and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.
Data source: Kantar Media Philippines. Mega Manila. Cable 2+. English GE channels include AXN, Star World, Warner TV, Diva, Fox Channel, Universal Channel, Lifetime, Sony Channel.
• The strong performance of Goblin made Oh!K the no. 1 Pay TV channel on the first day of 2017 in Singapore (i.e. not just Korean channels).
• Episode 10 of Goblin on January 1 (7pm) set a new high in ratings since its premiere in early December:
-From Episode 1 to Episode 10, ratings have increased by 153%.
-For Episode 10, ratings were 284% higher than the next Korean GE channel during the timeslot and it achieved a 65% category share.
• Four back-to-back episodes of Goblin in the afternoon of January 1 attracted strong ratings as well:
-Its rating was 341% higher than the next Korean GE channel and achieved a 63% category share.
Data source: GFK SG TAM. Live + VOSDAL. Target: Pay TV 4+. Combined ratings of Oh!K Malay and Mandarin.
For further information, contact:
Director of Communications, Turner Asia Pacific
+852 3128-3720 / James.Moore@turner.com
About Turner Asia Pacific
Turner Asia Pacific creates and distributes award-winning brands throughout the region, running 61 channels in 14 languages in 42 countries. These include CNN International, CNNj, CNN, HLN, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang, POGO, Toonami, Warner TV, Oh!K, TCM Turner Classic Movies, truTV, MondoTV, TABI Channel, and HBO, HBO HD and WB in South Asia. Turner manages the business of Pay- and Free-TV-channels, as well as Internet-based services, and oversees commercial partnerships with various third-party media ventures; it teams with Warner Bros. and HBO to leverage Time Warner’s global reach. Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific, Inc. (“Turner Asia Pacific”) is a Time Warner company.