MLB on TBS - Play-by-Play Announcer
- Three-time Sports Emmy® Award winner Ernie Johnson is in his 26th year as the studio host for Turner’s NBA coverage. He is host of the TNT's Sports Emmy® Award winning Inside the NBA studio show with analysts Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith and Shaquille O’Neal.
- Since 2010, Johnson has served as the studio host for NBA TV’s popular Fan Night, featured each Tuesday on the network, working alongside analysts Chris Webber and Greg Anthony.
- Since 2011, he has served as a studio host for Turner and CBS’s NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship coverage.
- Johnson serves as a play-by-play announcer for TBS’ exclusive coverage of the MLB Postseason including the Wild Card Game, Division Series and League Championship Series. He also serves as a play-by-play announcer for “Sunday MLB on TBS” games throughout the regular season (since 2010).
- Johnson was TBS’ studio host for the network’s postseason coverage from 2007-09. He was also the studio host of TBS’ exclusive coverage of the MLB All-Star Selection Show from 2007-09.
- From 1999-2005 and 2007-12, Johnson served as host and play-by-play announcer for TNT’s coverage of professional golf, including the PGA Championship, British Open, President’s Cup and the PGA Grand Slam of Golf. He currently provides commentary for the network’s coverage of the PGA Championship each year.
- From 2001-05 Johnson hosted TBS Saturday Night College Football. He was also the studio host for TNT’s NFL coverage from 1990-94 and was an on-site host for the 1995 and 1996 seasons.
- Johnson hosted TNT's coverage of the Wimbledon Championships from 2000-02.
- Johnson worked in various roles for the 2001 Goodwill Games from Brisbane, Australia, the 1998 Goodwill Games from New York, the 1994 Goodwill Games in St. Petersburg, Russia, the 1992 Olympic Winter Games in Albertville, France and the 1994 Olympic Winter Games in Lillehammer, Norway.
- In 2015, Johnson was chosen as the recipient of the Bill Hartman Award. He was also recognized with a Musial Award, presented in honor of Stan Musial’s legacy by celebrating iconic “good sports” and the year’s greatest moments in sportsmanship, in 2015.
- Johnson called Atlanta Braves games on SportSouth from 1993-96 with his dad, Ernie Johnson, Sr.
- He began his career, while attending the University of Georgia, as news and sports director for WAGQ-FM, Athens, Ga. (1977-78). Following graduation, Johnson joined WMAZ-TV, Macon, Ga. as news anchor (1979-81). In 1981, he served as news reporter for WSPA-TV, Spartanburg, S.C. and from 1983-89 he worked for WSB-TV in Atlanta as a weekend sports anchor and reporter.
- In 2007, Johnson was presented with the first-ever honorary “John Wooden Keys to Life Award,” presented by Athletes in Action, which is awarded to individuals who exemplify Wooden’s “Seven Keys to Life” including character, integrity and faith.
- Johnson was the recipient of a Sports Emmy® for Best Studio Host/Personality in 2015, 2006 and 2001. With Johnson at the helm, TNT’s Inside the NBA has won four Emmy® Awards for Outstanding Studio Show – Daily. Johnson was also awarded the 1989 Georgia-area Emmy® for Outstanding Achievement – Television News Excellence/Sports Reporting and received a prestigious Georgia Associated Press Award for sports reporting in 1988. In 1984, he received a United Press International Award for Sportscasting.
- A graduate of Henry W. Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Georgia, he was named Outstanding Young Alumnus in 1986.